Although i work in the marketing industry, I always figured I wasn't all that much of a brand freak. Simply put, I don't really dig the 'Prada's and the 'YSL's of this world, would rather shop for unbranded cheap clothes and footwear and .....you get the general drift :)
There's however a set of products (mind you, this is more like products with a name, more than just the allure we call a 'Brand') that have just simply made their mark on me. If asked the all too familiar question of 'What would you do if this brand/product was no longer available', my honest reply would be "I don't know how I'd survive without them'. I mean, I'm sure life would move on and I'd find a substitute in due course of time, but that interim period would be filled with much anxiety at finding a suitable successor, if you know what I mean. If you don't, then maybe the outlined examples will help ...
- Dove: I know, I'm starting with a Unilever brand. And i work for P&G. Call me a traitor, but I think Dove is a brilliant brand. One of the few brands I'll admit has what they call 'allure' for me. In that some of their products have just never worked for me, esp hair care. But some others (their Body Silk, shower cream and deodorants lead the pack) are just fantastic. I think its a combination of their 'We genuinely love women' positioning and partly the product action in select categories (Like i said before, Hair isn't one of them) that makes Dove such a loved brand in my life.
- Olay Total Effects: I've raved about this brand to people before. And yes, I used to work on Olay, so I won't blame you if you're screaming 'Bias'! To be fair to myself, I worked on whitening products, and this one's an anti aging product. It wasn't ever really my own. But honestly, no other skin product makes my skin glow like Olay TE does. If I leave home without TE on my skin, it just feels so .. so .. naked! Even when its an occassion to get dressed for, I don't have to use make up/ foundation - TE suffices :) It not only provides cosmetic coverage, but also genuinely gets rid of uneveness, dryness and dullness over time. I'm not asking anyone else to try it (that's your prerogative really), I just love this product and am not ashamed to scream it out from the rooftops!
- Gucci Envy perfume: I never ever bought perfumes for myself coz it felt like such a waste of money when plenty came in as gifts. At this one P&G fine fragrances seminar thing, they gave off free Gucci perfumes. And Gucci Envy stuck like no other fragrance ever did! Long Lasting fragrance is this!! Sharp, citrusy and not too feminine or sugary, just the way I like my fragrances. Gucci Envy is an all time favorite fragrance that genuinely 'Lingers' all day, giving perfumes over the world a good reputation :)
- Neutrogena Rainbath Shower gel: Aparna recommended this to me once. She's the maverick as far as brands go, really. Has this knack for trying products and then passing around appropriate WOM (word of mouth) on them to her friends and peers. Rainbath shower gel has the one fragrance no other product has ever managed to simulate - first rain on earth! :D Given my affinity for rains and associated scents, this one's obviously a favorite :)
- Ariel: Ok fine, i work on this brand now!!! I can't help it though, if it's completely brilliant ok! Seriously, i used to think twice before I wore whites in tough dirt/ dust situations. I love white kurtas, they're the most elegant colors for Kurtas ever! But I'd always be afraid of getting tea/ dirt/ food stains on them. Not being very laundry involved makes the slightest risk of ruining clothes a huge entry barrier to wearing some of my favorite shades. Ever since I've used Ariel though, I've even done things as stupid as wear a pristine white brand new kurta through a day in Bangalore city autos and restaurants, and with ZERO stress! Coz i knew Ariel was there! :D
- Axe deo: Procterites yelling 'Traitor', pls to calm down. Almost every male friend I have uses Axe deo regardless of which FMCG he works for. That itself is testimony to how good the product is. Agreed, the 'Axe effect' is a LOT of 'allure' from great advertising, but one has to admit, the product lives up to every expectation (No I haven't tried! Yes, I've been told :))
- Body Shop: Its just the fragrance and colors. I'm not even sure I'm a big fan of their products. I just love walking into a store once in 2 months and picking up one new scented oil (for the room, not the body). My room ALWAYS smells of a body shop fragrance - Sandalwood, Orange, Meadow, Lime, Strawberry, Lavender - U name it, I have it!
I can't think of many more right now. Will def do a follow up post when they come to mind, but this is it for now, these are the brands I'm hooked to - potentially for life :)
What's your story? Which brands are you a sucker for? :-)