Thursday, April 26, 2007

The meaning of music - 1

Now that's an utterly profound name for a blog that won't really expound of the meaning of anything. As any marketer's tricks, that was just to get you reading :-)

Anyway, the thing about songs is, as i thought about them a few days ago i realized, some songs had special meaning in my 26 yr old life coz they brought me closer to someone or the other in an inexplicable yet in retrospect, meaningful way. Never realized it through the way, but as i thought of how much music has brought to life, mine and most other people's i also started to recollect all of the songs i associate with someone or the other today, inevitably breaking out into a smile. :-)

Lemon Tree (Fool's Garden): BM - the babe magnet Srikant Nayak
Of the guys i hung out with, Nayak had the cleanest room in IIMB. Which meant that if we had dinner plans as a group and if i was ready before the others (which was mostly mind you!) I'd walk over to C top and sit in his room and wait for everyone else to get done with being ready. (Although i simply dont get it, they have short hair, no eye make up shoe hassles or accessorizing - then WTF takes so long for a man to get ready when it takes me all of 10 mins?) But i digress. So most times Nayak had this random playlist running and he'd pick the nicest songs just so people wud think he had great taste in music!! :D There was this one song called Lemon Tree that id heard before, but cud never place the lyrics. One fine day as Nayak and I waited for the others (lets give him credit here, he takes all of 2 mins to get ready unlike Sohit and Kunal) this song started to play and we started humming along. It started as mild mannered humming with both of us being rather self conscious, and then suddenly we picked up rythm, started enjoying ourselves and started screaming out the song out loud in karaoke style!! It was soooo awesome, we had a google lyrics page open and sang along like 2 or 3 times before we had to leave for dinner. But Lemon Tree since that day, is our song :) (BM: Now u know why 10 mins ago i was asking you who sang it :))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3x4HvXTyGQ

Your body is a wonderland (John Mayer): Kunal the funny guy consultant Mundra
Ok dont get me wrong here. I know it sounds weird, but let me explain before you jump to conclusions. Kunal was the first friend i made on campus (apart from Sam and Sandeep who i knew from VJTI) and we spent a fair bit of time together in our first few days, discussing our respective families, friends, i knew his then gf and now fiance Sudipta from some crash course at Vidyalankar and he knew some friend of mine and thats how it went. So as Kunal started to increasingly plonk his elder brotherly self in my room, (usually it wud be a pleading "Sudha i need to study and i cant do it in my room with ppl walking in!, Let me study here na!" and wud end up in me sitting uncomfortably on my chair working on the PC and him falling asleep right there on the bed! This is why i got the extra gadda into my room eventually!! Things i had to do for these boys .. sigh! ). Anyway, i digress again as is my habit! So Kunal wud always ask me why i was single and if i hadnt met any nice guys and all tht, tons of elder brotherly concern and advice, and one fine day as i walked into his room listening to this song, he goes, u know wen u find a nice chap, ull have the chance to play this song for him. Its much better than the crap u play on ur PC! Here, ive sent it to u on bracket. I was like :O but i kinda agreed with him and heard the song, and heard the song and heard it some more times before i felt sorry about being single :( and stopped listening to the song!!! :D Anyway, that was just that day, love the song to bits now and Your Body is a wonderland reminds me of Kunals attempt to change moi taste in music to reflect some refinement and class (!!!) .. Its your song Mr Mundra! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJNE31Ndme0

Tere aane ki .. (Jagjit Singh): Mr Sohit Ibanking Kapoor
Sohit was always the Jagjit Singh fan. Him and I both take pride in the fact that he went on to translate a simple pleasure in music to a passionate channeling of energy at Unmaad which culminated in Jagjit Singh performing LIVE at IIMB for the very 1st time!!! :DDD so proud of everything he is and has accomplished! Remember our days in 5th term? Kunal and Dush were on exchange and Nayak was just busy with Chu and Moron, and Sohit and I would jus hang around campus, at the mess, in C top, mostly on the roads on campus and talk for hours, listen to music in his room which was mostly Jagjit Singh. I still remember one evening when Sohit calculated to a decimal's accuracy what grade i'd need in term 4 to make a 3.2 overall - without a calci or excel!!! We don't call him a superbrain for nothing! :D anyway, thats the time Sohit introduced me to his collection of fav Jagjit songs, tere aane ki was the one that stuck in my head, and the sweetheart that Sohit is, he'd play the song as many times as i wanted until i asked him to stop outta guilt :D So here's our song,
Tere aane ki jab khabar behke
Teri khushboo se, saara ghar mehke ...
Lovveeelyyy innit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9IVNAOB8k0

More tomorrow, its midnight and i dont want another abm asking me why im yawning so much!!! :DD Night everyone!! Have fun listening ...

9 comments:

srikant said...

I'm sitting here in the boring room
It's just another rainy Sunday afternoon
I'm wasting my time
I got nothing to do
I'm hanging around
I'm waiting for you
But nothing ever happens and I wonder
:-)
love you!!

unpredictable said...

awwwwwwwwwwww... love u toooo!!! (((())))) Thanks for dinnerrrr!!! :DDD NExt time itll be my treat ...

jvd said...

no song for me :-(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
unpredictable said...

dush's song was "for the longest time" (we mostly watched friends which is why we can recite dialogues even if woken up in the middle of the nite) .. not movies and def not songs, that and nutans "i found a reason" and sai's "aahista aahista" and some others coming up ... stop acting out of line on a public forum ...seriously ..

The Walrus said...

Hey, where the heck is my walrus post????????????

Unknown said...

What has happened to hamara pyaara BM...hes gone all soft in the head!!?

Anyways...

At last I figured out how to comment so heres my comment ...

" im coming to Spore on next Thursday : ))) "

unpredictable said...

Kinks: Walrus post up and running! Check out pls!

Kunal: Nayak's now officialy wat they call PML or pyaar mein lalooo :D YAAAAYYY!!! So kicked to be seeein you soon! :D

unpredictable said...
This comment has been removed by the author.