Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Escape

Each time I go back to India and imagine what my life would have been like had I stayed home in Bombay instead of making the decision to leave for hostel life and for a new city thereafter, I feel a huge sense of relief. Not at leaving my parents, but at leaving an environment that would never have let me see the world as I see it today. Only those who have known me over the last 10 years can attest to the fact that the change has been nothing short of miraculous, and unanimously described as a step in the right direction.

At the prospect of a mind that opened like it did when exposed to new cities, new people and multiple cultures, I feel an overwhelming sense of relief. At that, and at having escaped the person I could have turned into. And immense gratitude for everything I've had the privilege of experiencing in the last decade.

2 comments:

Nutan said...

I can attest for it. And the only reason I can appreciate the change is because even I stayed away and changed as much... so full agreement!

Andrea said...

Like always, I think there are 2 parts... one is fate, which is the road (with multiple lanes) ahead of you, but the other, equally important, is the rider of the horse. And that is YOU. You are ultimately the responsible of the person you've become, through your choices. You chose to take the first step in a different direction, and that, in itself, is a victory over the diluted Sudha that you could have been. I fully understand you... I took the same steps as you, though in a diff continent.